Mentoring – a concept is as old as tribal society itself – is becoming increasingly more popular in companies. Whether based on diversity, gender, or profession, having an advisor on your side who is interested in your future can be helpful.
What makes a good mentor?
Although believing in you is essential, it’s not enough. An all-star mentor not only demonstrates seasoned experience and wisdom to direct a mentee, but he/she is also known for his/her values and integrity.
Watch for these three core areas with underlying themes.
Leads By Example
- Emphasizes building substantial long-term relationships
- Self-reflective and self-motivated
- Curious by nature and continually learning
- Desires to grow and help others develop
- Knows the benefits of actively listening
- Is insightful and able to clarify vision
- Generous but wise with time and attention
- Understands priorities
Provides Constructive Feedback
- Is both honest in offering guidance and encouraging in providing support
- Values the opinions of others – even when there is a difference of opinion
- Communicates optimism
- Shares motivational input
- Teaches more than head knowledge
Sets Professional Goals
- Opens doors and assists with opportunities
- Directs toward challenges and goals
- Demonstrates effectiveness and efficiency
- Shares contacts
- Is highly respected in her industry
- Has a reputation for delivering on promises and meeting goals
- Recognizes her strengths and weaknesses
- Navigates bureaucracy
- Is confident and committed
Good mentors do not take their roles lightly. Many people don’t have mentors; so, if you are fortunate enough to find one, don’t take that relationship for granted. If an opportunity becomes available for you to help your mentor, by all means, make it a two-way street. People can always learn from each other.
About Lingo Staffing
Lingo is a full-service staffing firm dedicated to providing top quality services to its clients and its candidate pool. With extensive knowledge and experience in light industrial, administrative, and professional employment, Lingo encompasses the capabilities and resources necessary to help you get ahead.
Our experience and commitment to client satisfaction make us the perfect choice to manage all of your staffing needs. Our staff guarantees exceptional customer service with an expedient response time.
Our experts are located at an office near you: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Lingo, the language of On Demand solutions. Contact us at an office convenient to you.