Do you feel like collapsing into bed at the end of the day? Are you wanting to pull out your hair or run away from the demands of your job?
You may be suffering from job burnout. Jobs with consistently high work-related stress levels can lead to professional burnout.
According to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, burnout is “an exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration.”
Symptoms of Burnout
• Fatigue – feeling tired even after a good night’s sleep.
• Insomnia – high level of nightmares.
• Feeling out of sorts, grouchy, and irritated – most of the time.
• Anxiety, the blues, crying jags.
• Brain fog, forgetfulness, loss of concentration and productivity.
• A drastic change in appetite and eating habits – resulting in severe weight gain or loss.
• Turning to tobacco, alcohol, energy boosters, etc.
Ways to Manage Potential Burnout
• Realize your overwhelm cycle.
• Pay attention to symptoms – the earlier you identify it, the easier to heal.
• Put a support system in place.
• Be proactive to promote balance.
• Incorporate breaks or mindfulness practices.
• Make a list of priorities and deadlines to adjust workload.
Finally, understand the demands of your job and prepare for them accordingly. Certain occupations are more prone to burnout. This doesn’t mean you can’t work in these fields, but being informed and educated about expectations and demands of a job prepares you better to manage it. Positions with a higher rate of burnout include:
• Police Officers
• Physicians, Nurses, Healthcare workers –
• Teachers and School Principals
• Social workers
• Child care workers
• Food Service workers
If you work in one of these areas, take steps now to keep your balance. By building a support system, taking steps to curtail overload, and taking care of yourself through healthy choices, you can serve in a job you love without suffering burnout.
About Lingo Staffing
Lingo is a full-service staffing firm dedicated to providing top quality services to its clients and its candidate pool. With extensive knowledge and experience in light industrial, administrative, and professional employment, Lingo encompasses the capabilities and resources necessary to help you get ahead.
Our experience and commitment to client satisfaction make us the perfect choice to manage all of your staffing needs. Our staff guarantees exceptional customer service with an expedient response time.
Our experts are located at an office near you: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Lingo, the language of On Demand solutions. Contact us at an office convenient to you.